Saturday, January 2, 2016

Week 3 - New Year's Eve

So I've been here long enough that days and weeks are starting to blend together. I'm pretty sure this marks the end of week 3. Anyways, this week has been a huge learning experience for me. I've had several more lessons with the TRC investigators, and with teachers pretending to be investigators,and on Thursday we started something new. We get to teach two 20 minute lessons to members, in Spanish. It's safe to say, I think I'm getting the hang of this "teach by the spirit" thing.

Happy New Year everybody! Hope you all did something fun to ring in the new year, because missionaries really don't get to. Holidays in the MTC really just mean something to write your family about, and a day or two where we won't get mail delivery. The most we got to do was throw a party at 10:00 when the ball dropped in New York. We were told we could stay up as long as we wanted provided we didn't wake anyone else up. Unfortunately 6:30 doesn't come any later on New Year's Day, so everyone was asleep by 11:30. Yep, we party hard here in Mormon Central.

I've been asked about the others in my district, so I'll tell you a little more about them. Elder Noble is from the Houston Texas Area. My district leader, Elder Bezzant, is from an unincorporated county near Denver, Colorado. His companion, Elder Horton, is from Simi Valley, California. Elder Cassel is originally from La Quinta, California, but has recently been living in Downtown Salt Lake. His companion, Elder Meek, is from Cache Valley, Utah, and he is cousins with Stephen Meek from Studio C. Hermana Sanchez is from Lake Havisouz? City, Arizona, and her companion, Hermana Kingsford, is from Gilbert, Arizona. The two of them were recently called as Sister Training Leaders for our branch. Hermana Foutz is from the San Francisco area, and her companion, Hermana Schickedanz, is from Portland, Oregon.

I'm running out of time, so I need to wrap this up, but I'm so glad to be in the MTC! I got to host the incoming missionaries Wednesday, which was a lot of fun, but more importantly, My group is no longer the new ones! I did run into Sister Nipko already, and we marveled over the number of people going to Argentina in the next month. The Lord truly is hastening the work down there. I'm excited to get to the point where I feel fluent in the language. Thanks for the emails, and everything you guys have done to support me!

I want to end with the spiritual thought of the week. During our lessons we learned a lot about what it means to have a real conversation with God during prayer. For example, if you say you're thankful for the day, and move on, you aren't really talking to God, you are reciting at him. A real conversation means you would explain the same way you would to a friend. Don't generalize to God or assume he knows what you're talking about. Gratitude means a lot more when you specify exactly what it was you liked. It works the same way with God.

I want you all to know that God means it when he says, "I will make weak things become strong", because I've had numerous opportunities to make terrible mistakes, and to learn from it. My weeks here in the MTC have taught me a lot about how Christ taught, and how he wants us to teach. It's really amazing to be here. Also if you haven't seen the Church's new videos on their 12 step recovery program, you should go watch them. They are really heavy, but they are also very real, and very powerful. When the church puts a discretion advisory on a video, you know it's going to be good.

I've got to go, but I love you all, and pray for you. God is there, and he does love you. Remember, being accepted as you are, is the worlds way. Changing, learning, and improving is God's way of saying he wants the best for you.

Buenos Tardes!

No comments:

Post a Comment